Canadian Customers

Canadian Customers Information


Do You Need to Buy Hep C Medication?

The Government of Canada would like to see Hepatitis C eradicated by 2030!

With this massive undertaking, Health Plans administered by each individual Province and Territory are continually changing.

Previously, there has been limited coverage in varying provinces, depending on the severity of the diesease.

In 2018, provinces including BC, Ontario and Quebec have removed all coverage restrictions, in effect providing free treatment!

Please check with your health care provider for more informtaion on specific provincial or territorial coverage…You may not need to buy from outside of Canada anymore! Yay Canada!

But if you’re not covered, keep reading.

Can Canadians Purchase Generic Hep C Meds?

Yes and No.

Yes: As a Canadian, you can purchase anything you want from anywhere in the world…but…

No: Health Canada, the government agency that regulates prescription drugs and importation of all drugs in Canada would say you can’t bring them in the country.

Further more, they say: “Canadian residents may not import prescription drugs by mail or courier.”

The Details

Legally, a Canadian Citizen can’t import prescription medication via mail or courier.

Canada Border Services Agency aka CBSA  (formerly Canada Customs and Revenue Agency) inspects all packages coming into Canada via mail and courier.

They assist Health Canada with the administration and enforcement of acts and regulations associated with Health Canada.

All Hep C prescription medications fall under Health Canada’s “Food and Drugs Act.”

The act states, with regard to “Personal Importation of Prescription Drugs” for “Canadian Citizens” the following:

“Health Canada may exercise enforcement discretion to permit a Canadian returning from abroad to bring with them, on their person, a single course of treatment or a 90-day supply based on the directions for use, whichever is less, of a prescription drug. This discretion is generally reserved for Canadian residents returning to Canada with prescription drugs which were dispensed for a treatment prior to leaving Canada, or drugs obtained through a filled prescription to treat an illness while abroad.”


“Prescription drugs imported in this fashion must be for the individual’s personal use or the use of a person for whom they are responsible and with whom they are traveling. Additionally, all personal importations of prescription drugs must be packaged in the hospital, pharmacy dispensing or retail packaging, or have the original label affixed to it clearly indicating what the product is and what it contains.”


“The CBSA may detain and refer prescription drugs to Health Canada when these conditions are not met.”

So what does this mean?

Mail or courier

It means if you have prescription medications sent to Canada from another country via mail or courier, you run the risk of having your package stopped and confiscated by CBSA on behalf of Health Canada.

In fact, it’s a strong possibility and happens all the time. And if it happens, you’re not getting your drugs.

Are other online sellers guaranteeing delivery of packages to Canada without explaining the issues you’ll face? If not, steer clear of them!

Can you pick them up in another country, then bring them in personally?

Again, we must refer to the above mentioned act.

Legally, you must tell the customs agent that you’re carrying prescription medication obtained in a different country.

And then, it’s up to the discretion of the customs agent.

So you’re taking your chances. If you tell them the truth, they can still confiscate your drugs, regardless of the fact that you can’t afford $60,000 or whatever the cost is in Canada.

If you lie and they find the drugs, well chances are good you’re not getting them back no matter what you say.

What to do?

Know before you buy.

We can’t advise anyone to do anything that goes against the laws, rules or regulations of a country. We can only tell you what we know.

In Canada, you can call CBSA:

Canada Border Services Agency Contact Information

For more information regarding the CBSA’s administration of Health Canada legislation as it relates to goods, within Canada call the Border Information Service at 1-800-461-9999. From outside Canada call 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064. Long distance charges will apply. Agents are available Monday to Friday (08:00 – 16:00 local time / except holidays). TTY is also available within Canada: 1-866-335-3237.

Or call Health Canada:

Health Canada Product Specific Contact Information

Human Drugs, Natural Health Products and Medical Devices

General Enquiries
Tel: 1-800-267-9675

Atlantic Region
Tel: 1-902-426-4775

Quebec Region
Tel: 1-800-561-3350

Ontario Region
Tel: 1-416-973-1600

Prairie Region
Provinces of Manitoba and Saskatchewan
Tel: 1-204-594-8061

Province of Alberta, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, and Yukon
Tel: 1-780-495-0490

British Columbia Region
Tel: 1-604-666-3350

Do you need more information?

If you still have questions call us at 1-800-745-5731 for a Free Consultation!